Any one of any size can participate in fat activism. If you weigh 105 pounds soaking wet and you speak up against fat hate, you are participating in fat activism! That is awesome! Generally, fat people will appreciate it as long as you are not condescending about it.
Fat identity is built around being fat. It’s kind of a prerequisite. If you aren’t fat - which can be determined by a lot of things, including cultural surroundings, doctors, retail clothing stores…. - then trying to claim fat identity is wrong. That does not invalidate body issues or imply those body issues are not important.
I often think that Fat Acceptance is, in large part, about finding ways in which we can be kinder to ourselves, less unfathomably cruel. Finding that is important for everyone, of course. And it’s important to apply that to other people, too.
But kindness does not equal the abandonment of boundaries. Good fences make good neighbors, like the man named Frost said.
- 9pointsinscrabble reblogged this from fuckyeahfatpositive
- fuckyeahwomenprotesting reblogged this from fuckyeahfatpositive
- courageisnotlackoffear reblogged this from fuckyeahfatpositive
- lady-amalthea likes this
- freshstrawberries reblogged this from fuckyeahfatpositive
- omgfabulous likes this
- skalja likes this
- miswritten likes this
- mercy-misrule reblogged this from sofiaviolet
- norma-desmond likes this
- xiidogsmiles likes this
- mercy-misrule likes this
- anth0philous likes this
- whatcaitysays likes this
- sofiaviolet reblogged this from fuckyeahfatpositive
- magicalgirlserena likes this
- bubonickitten reblogged this from awyeahmona
- adefunctblog likes this
- awyeahmona reblogged this from fuckyeahfatpositive
- festivemax likes this
- saintawesome likes this
- fuckyeahwomenprotesting likes this
- raggedyanndy likes this
- madstatler likes this
- ravengrrrrl likes this
- karynchaotic likes this
- pearlconcubine likes this
- rosewater-sailor likes this
- fuckyeahfatpositive posted this